Fathers, Brothers and Sisters,
Greetings from Bishop’s House, Balasore!
The canonization of Mother Teresa, which would
take place on the 4th of September in Rome,
would surprise no one as she had been given the
status of saint even before died 19 years ago.
The ‘Saint of the Gutters’, as she was well
known in the world outside, would finally be
counted among the company of saints and placed
on pedestals for veneration. The poor for whom
she dedicated her life need not be told that she
is now counted among the saints of heaven. She
knew that the true good cannot be found in
systems and plans, no matter how clever and
efficient, but in a person.
History of the Diocese
Present Ecclesiastical territory of Balasore,
Comprising the 4 civil Districts : Bhadrak,
Balasore, Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar of Orissa
State, was under the Archdiocese of Calcutta
until 1968.Though the origin of Christianity in
this part of North East Orissa can be traced
back to 1514 with a Portuguese settlement in
Pippilli, Balasore got a resident Priest in the
person of Fr. Sapport S.J. only in 1865. He had
built a beautiful church (Lal Girja) in Balasore
and had started a Foundling Home, which later
was looked after by the Daughters of the Cross
(DC). Fr Sapport S.J. was said to be the Pioneer
Missionary of Balasore. In 1915, the Daughters
of St. Joseph of Chembery had arrived and opened
a Convent and a School in Balasore which was
functioning until 1938.