BALASORE, Christ The King Cathedral
the King cathedral Church,
Vivekanda Marg, P.O / Dt. Balasore
Pin - 756001
Phone : 06782 - 263931
Catholic families :
Associate Pastor :
Religious institutions :
Vincentís Convent (CMC)
2. St. Vincentís Convent (DC)
3. Jyothi Convent (SD)
4. Prathiksha Bhavan (Camillus)
5. Missionaries of Charity (MC)
6. Deen Bandu Samaj (DBS)
Educational institutions :
Vincentís Convent School
St. Vincentís Oriya Primary School
Utkal Vani Kala Kendra
St. Thomas School
Socio-welfare activities :
Home for the aged (DC)
Home for the mentallychallenged(DSC)
Shishu Bhavan (MC)
ST. Vincentís Health Centre (DC)
Mobile Dispensary (MC)
Holy Childhood Cell
the Parish :
From ď AMALECTA AUGUSTINIANAĒ we have the
information that in 1822, there was a
considerable number of Christians mostly
floating population, in Balasore. There was
landed property and a chapel then, in
Balasore. However, gradually, many of the
christians left Balasore for Kolkota and
other more perspective places. Hence, in
1832, the chapel was closed and the property
was entrusted to the Zamindar of Balasore
for safe custody.
In 1864, Fr. Delpelchin S.J. Superior of
Bengal Jesuit Mission, visited Balasore and
found a few Christians still existing there.
On his return to Kolkotta he appointed R.
Sapport S.J. as resident priest of Balasore.
In 1865, Fr. Sapport came to live in
Balasore. He tried to regain the property
that was earlier entrusted to the Zamindar.
However that was all a vain attempt.
Hence, he acquied further land in Balasore
and in 1866-67; he built a church (Lal Girja)
and dedicated it to the honour of St.
Joseph. During the great Orissa Famine, Fr.
Sapport opened a Foundling Home in Balasore.
In 1868, the Daughters of the Cross came to
Balasore and took charge of the Foundling
Home. Those sisters continued to be in
Balasore until 1938. In 1976, Fr. Sapport,
the pioneer Missionary of Balasore was
transferred elsewhere and Fr. Lí Hermitte
S.J. succeeded him. From 1880 till 1937,
many fathers like Schaff S.J., Vrithoff S.J.
had worked intermittently in Balasore.
In 1938, the most southern part of the
Archdiocese of Calcutta, in the State of
Orissa, comprising the Civil Districts of
Balasore and Mayurbhanj, was entrusted to
the Malteese Dominicans (O.P.). On
01.11.1938, there came four Dominican
Missionaries : Fr. Gabriel Wilkin O.P., Fr.
Jacob Dominico O.P. They took charge of the
existing stations of Balasore and Krishna
chandrapur. Later on 30.11.1939, four more
Dominicans, Fr. Cajetano Xerri O.P., Fr.
Jacobus Burrigieg O.P., Fr. Boneventure
Aquilkua O.P. and Bro. Jhon O.P., joined the
former team of Missionaries in Balasore.
However those Malteese Dominicans could not
continue in Balasore. On 01.01.1941 they all
left Balasore and India for good. It was
during the time of the Dominicans in
Balasore that, owing to an earthquake, the
beautiful Lal Girja suffered heavy damages
and because of its dilapidated and
threatening condition, the Archbishop Most
Rev. Ferdinand Perier S.J. of Calcutta gave
orders to dismantle the same. The beautiful
Lal Girja of Balasore could not be rebuilt
until very late in 1973. From 1941 till
1948, Balasore contended with visiting
priests of Kharagpur.
In 1948, Fr. Joseph Viziak S.J. was
appointed Parish Priest of Balasore but he
preferred to reside at Krishnachandrapur
where there was a larger Christian community
and an established church. From
Krishnachandrapur, Fr. Viziak regularly
attended Balasore rendering spiritual
ministrations to the people there.
From June 1965, Fr. Anselm Biswal of Cuttack
Diocese was appointed parish priest of
Balasore, still under the Archdiocese of
Calcutta. In 1967, Fr. Vincent Mathew
replaced Fr. Anselm as Parish Priest of
On June 8, 1968, the Apostolic Prefecture of
Balasore was formed and was entrusted to the
Vincentians (CM) of Cuttack Province. Fr.
Jacob Vadakeveetil C.M., was appointed
Apostolic Administrator, who took charge
over Balasore Mission on 18th November,
1968. From that day on he assumed charge
also as Parish priest of Balasore. He
continued to be the parish priest until
1984, when Fr. Thomas Enchackel was
appointed Parish Priest. Fr. Thomas
Enchackal was transferred elsewhere in 1986
and Fr. Paul Pynadath C.M. took charge as
When Balasore was raised to the status of a
diocese in 1990, Fr. Thomas Enchackl once
again came back to Balasore as Parish Priest
in place of Fr. Paul Pynadath C.M. Since
1991, Fr. Chcko V.L. became the parish
priest of Balasore and continued till the
year 1999. During his tenure he started a
Music and Dance training centre UTKAL VANI
for the tribal and backward children.
In the Year 2000 Fr. Jose Thundiyil took
charge as parish priest. Many tribal and
poor people got the benefit of a house as he
built the housing colony both at Bhaskarganj
and Srikanthapur. Since 2002, Fr. Roy
Kochupurackal is the parish priest.
Back to Parish